What is your favorite Christmas movie? I always feel like I am supposed to respond with a classic like It’s A Wonderful Life, White Christmas, or even A Christmas Story. I like all of those, but none of them are my favorite.
The Family Stone. 100%. The storyline is Meredith (Sarah Jessica Parker) is meeting the parents for the first time. Her boyfriend, Everett Stone (Dermot Mulroney), has a large family, the youngest of which, Amy (Rachel McAdams), hates Meredith. Meredith is classy and career driven, but she babbles when nervous and frequently puts her foot in her mouth. As Meredith melts into a puddle of anxiety, the other Stone members deal with their own issues, which range from breast cancer to adoption to encountering high school sweethearts. I love this movie because I am drawn to kooky family drama and holiday misadventures. The characters are multi-faceted and played by amazing actors. Diane Keaton is fabulous as the Stone family matriarch.
Whatever your favorite Christmas movie is, this is the hot chocolate you want in your hand as you watch it. Not to brag, but it’s kind of perfect. I initially bought amaretto to make a previous recipe for this blog, but I have quickly learned that amaretto is hot chocolate’s best friend (not marshmallows as previously assumed).
Waiting for Saint Nick
- 1.5 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 serving dark hot cocoa mix
- 1 heaping tablespoon Nutella
- 1 ounce amaretto
- 1 ounce cognac
- Topping ideas: whipped cream, holiday sprinkles, chocolate shavings
- Heat milk over the stovetop. Do not boil.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in cocoa mix. Once the cocoa mix is incorporated, add Nutella and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- In each mug, add 1 ounce cognac and 1 ounce amaretto. Pour in cocoa.
- Add preferred toppings and enjoy!
Movie pairing: The Family Stone
Book pairing: Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand