Ever wonder if it is “portabella” or “portobello”? I do. Every single time I use the word. Therefore, I Googled it before posting this recipe. Turns out they are interchangeable, only one term is feminine and the other is masculine. I asked my pizzas which they prefer, and they responded that they are the Wonder Women of pizza and do not respond to portobello.
Portabella. It’s official.
Admittedly this isn’t much of a recipe, as portabella pizzas aren’t exactly new or complicated, but it helps to know some tricks so you don’t end up with a soggy mushroom, which is the primary problem with these.
It turns out the trick is simple. You scoop out the gills. They come out easily with the use of a spoon. While the gills are perfectly edible, they do hold a great deal of moisture, so this is essential for good pizza texture.
This is a great meal option for those times when you are too busy or tired to cook a full meal in between holiday obligations, but you are too responsible of an adult to have Christmas cookies for dinner. (I’m not that responsible. Don’t tell my mother.) I like to use turkey pepperoni here, as I like to keep my toppings as traditional as possible, when there is an unconventional crust. Use whatever you prefer on your pizzas and enjoy!
Portabella Pizzas with Turkey PepperoniThe recommended wine pairing is mushroom’s best friend, Pinot Noir, which conveniently also complements pepperoni.
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- Olive oil, to brush mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 to 12 slices turkey pepperoni (or your preferred pizza toppings)
- Optional: Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400. Clean your mushrooms and remove the gills. Brush with olive oil and salt lightly.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Place mushrooms, gill side down, and bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the mushroom.
- Flip the mushrooms over and pat dry with a paper towel. Add a spoonful of pizza sauce to each mushroom. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, if desired. Add mozzarella and your preferred toppings.
- Bake for another 7 minutes. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.